From:
Tim Dickinson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Feb 2002 19:40:51 -0500
Drew Capruder wrote:

>At least in the USA, I believe the Kubelik set on Deutsche Grammophon has
>been deleted from the catalog.  I was going to buy it recently as a present
>for a friend, but I can't find it listed in any of the on-line CD shopping
>sites (and Berkshire doesn't have it).  I believe it is available from the
>Japanese HMV site, but there is a consideration shipping cost to the USA.

It is listed at A&B Sound (Canada) for US $53.73 (http://www.absound.ca).
Their search engine stinks, I searched on "Kubelik" and didn't find it, but
then searched on "Mahler" and it was listed on the first screen, third from
the bottom.

I agree with Drew that going with a complete set can save money if you want
to hear all of the symphonies, and Kubelik's is as good as any.  A&B also
has Solti, Haitink and probably others for around the same price as
Kubelik, but I would go with Kubelik.

If you're not sure whether you want all of the symphonies, I say start with
the first...if you're going to respond to Mahler, you should respond to it.
From there try the second, then the third, etc.  Mahler's music evolved
over time and that will provide a logical flow.  At least this is one way
to do it.

Tim Dickinson