From:
Paul Silverthorne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Feb 2002 11:30:53 EST
[log in to unmask] writes:

>don't know who this guy is... I thought he might be an American chat show
>presenter when he was first mentioned. ;)

Me too. So please tell us who he is, if it is of interest.

Paul Silverthorne

 [The 30-year-old Ricky Martin, a native of Puerto Rico who has sold more
 than 15 million records worldwide, has been hailed as the forerunner
 in the vanguard of Latin Pop - a "Latin fever" (a phrase that hasn't
 been hip since the sixties)  spreading in popularity worldwide, but
 especially in the U.S. His 1998 Spanish-language album, Vuelve, won
 the 1999 Grammy for Best Latin Pop Performance and in in the same year
 his debut single "Livin' La Vida Loca" from his first English-language
 album became the biggest-selling #1 single in the history of Columbia
 Records.  He's won four Grammys and has been nominated for another
 four.

 During the previous peak in the cycle of Latin music in the U.S.,
 Martin landed a spot with the Latin boy group Menudo in 1984 at the
 age of 12, and for the next five years he maintained a grueling regime
 of recording work and tours.  In 1989, when Menudo was at the peak of
 its success, Martin opted out and moved to New York, hoping to achieve
 solo success.

 For a "huge" pop star, Martin has followed a remarkably independent
 path in many respects.  He has turned down a chance to star opposite
 Jennifer Lopez in a film remake of West Side Story, on the grounds that
 the movie helps perpetuate Puerto Rican stereotypes.

 I have the 1999 English language album, and like it.  It shows a great
 range for the genre.  It ain't classical music though.  -Dave]