From:
Bernard Chasan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Nov 2001 20:09:22 -0500
John Smyth at [log in to unmask] wrote:

>In an article in the NYT on Sunday, ("Public Radio's Private Guru"), David
>Giovannoni, an analyst of public radio's listening audience tells us that,
>(with a few exceptions), NPR's core listeners, want more news and less CM.
>Giovannoni describes these listeners are middle-aged and college educated.
>I thought these were the only people that actually *listened* to CM.

What is particularly annoying about this guy is that he is says that he
is just reporting facts, but of course he has an agenda.  Classical music
is mostly local programming and NPR wants to supplant local programming
as much as possible.  So, as Samuel Freedman (the author of this article)
points out, NPR stations around the country increasingly sound alike.
Further Mr. Giovannoni seems to rule out mixed programming of news and
music.  WGBH in Boston still manages to do mixed programming- I hope it
stays that way.  Freedman also reports successful rebellions, where a
public outcry forced the return of the Metropolitan Opera broadcasts.
This happened in Maine.

>Granted, cars and offices--where radios most likely deliver the CM--don't
>provide the most propitious environments for meaningful listening.

My living room is pretty propitious. So is my study.

>it's another example supporting my point that intelligence is probably
>the only thing *not* at work when someone decides they love or hate CM.

But a substantial attention span and an ability to appreciate complexity
may play a role.

Bernard Chasan <[log in to unmask]>