From:
Steve Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Nov 2001 08:11:49 -0600
William Copper asks:

>I am attempting to compile a list of companion pieces to my new Lovelife
>Dances, a large song cycle for chorus and piano (4 hands).  It is an
>obvious reference to and in a way an update of Brahms' Liebeslieder
>Waltzes.  What have you programmed or heard that works well with the
>Brahms and so could be good companions for Lovelife Dances?  Thank you.

I've always been very fond of Schumann's Spanisches Liederspiel, for piano,
solos, and various choral ensembles.  It's hardly ever done, mostly, I
think, because the Liebeslieder Waltzes has crowded it out.  However, you
could also do the Neue Liebeslieder Waltzer.

This year, I took part in a pretty good performance of the Brahms.  The
program theme was love songs.  I dimly recall the other pieces:  4
Madrigals by Libby Larsen, some choral Lieder by Fanny Mendelssohn,
Vaughan Williams's "See the chariot at hand," and some folk songs.

Steve Schwartz