From:
Albie Cabrera <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Oct 2001 11:45:38 -0700
As I'd been repeating over and over the past couple weeks/months, for
the past couple months I had strayed off the golden road of CM into the
territory of Rock music, and prior to that, for the better part of a year
I'd fixated almost completely on Bruckner and Mahler...

However, I must admit that, lately, with each new Bruckner or Mahler disc
I acquired, I started getting more and more bogged down in minutiae...
tiny differences and details (imagined or not) between each version...
while losing a lot of the general feeling of fascination or discovery that
I felt early on with the pieces themselves...  Endless repeated play kinda
does that to you...

But last night on a long road trip, feeling dissatisfied with the M/B and
alt-rock CDs that I had immediately ready to pop into the player, I dug
back and deep into my collection and pulled out my copy of Beethoven's ol'
5th symphony...  and whadyaknow?? Wham...  Bang...  fascination and
excitement!!

I may have to put away the M&B for now...  and lighten up a bit on the
alt-rock before that sounds old too...  That's fine cuz now I'm all excited
to simply go back and re-explore the rest of my collection that I've
neglected for so long now!  Yippee!!!!

Albie