From:
Ian Crisp <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Sep 2001 23:35:12 +0100
This thread is starting to annoy me enough to bring me out of my long
lurk for a while.  Almost everyone is using it to push their own favourite
pieces or composers or periods or ideas of who is "significant" or
"important".  Developing positions on all these things is valuable and
fun and an important part of being interested in classical music, but the
quickest way to kill a growing interest is by imposing other people's ideas
too soon.  Start with what makes you want to listen and work out from
there.  Don't buy a set of Beethoven symphonies because you "ought" to,
wait until you want to.  Try everything, follow your ear and your
instincts.  I've been doing this for 35 years or more, and I still haven't
found a good reason to buy a Brahms symphony, let alone a set of them.
Perhaps I will, one day.  If he comes to you sooner than that, fine.  I
wouldn't want anyone to avoid Brahms just because I don't get along with
him, just as I wouldn't want anyone to try Mahler and fail just because
I and lots of others love him.

Ian Crisp