From:
Bryan Shaw <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Aug 2001 12:25:45 -0400
When it comes to Bartok I cannot say enough good things nor even really
pick a favorite piece.  The Sonota for Two Pianos and Percussion is a
real masterpiece though underappreciated.  The First Piano Concerto always
astounds me with its energy and intriguing use of the piano as what it
technically is, a percussion instrument.  This is a trait also true of the
Sonata for Two Pianos and Percussion.  The middle movements of the Second
and Third Piano Concertos is some of the most serenely beautiful music I've
ever heard and in exact contrast to much of his work including the other
pieces I mentioned.  Even his smallest piano works are full of all kinds of
title details that show the masterful composer that he was.  He is often to
harsh for many people's ears but he is more than energy and noise if he is
studied much at all.

Bryan Shaw