From:
Steve Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 28 Jul 2001 08:41:42 -0500
Pavel Kotla:

>I heard the news about this controversial concert on BBC 24H NEWS a couple
>of weeks ago.  Am I right to feel that it was Wagner's open anti-semitism
>rather than Hitler's admiration that caused the ban and the protests?

Probably not.  After all, many anti-semitic composers are played in Israel
without such acting out.  In fact, if you were to exclude anti-semitic
composers from your listening, you'd have very little left from the 18th
and 19th centuries (and probably the first half of the 20th).

As for the Israel controversy, it never ceases to amaze me how many people
are eager to determine what you should read, think, watch, or listen to.

Steve Schwartz