From:
"Henry, Felicia" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Jan 2002 16:30:19 -0800
While I am a big co-sleeper, now (baby #1 had to be in his crib, until he
was about 5 months old and exhaustion took over and he slept with us).  But
what really needs to be stressed is SAFE sleeping (yes, I am shouting).  I
rarely watch the TLC show A Baby Story since being a CBE I can't stand the
interventions and nurses/docs pushing epidurals, but I saw it one day
recently and was shocked.  Not by the birth, but the scenes of the happy
family afterward.  They were putting they newborn (probably about 6 weeks
old) to sleep in a crib with a thick comforter and crib bumber, moving the
pillow a little off to the side but leaving the stuffed animals in place,
and putting the baby down on her STOMACH on the comforter.  How many don'ts
of the safe sleeping can we break at once, it seemed to be.  I couldn't
believe that the camera crew or anyone didn't point out how dangerous this
was and worse how could the producers decide to show it (they do a lot of
creative editing on that show, they could have done without that scene).

But it was the "proper" way wasn't it, that baby wasn't in the parents bed.
But that baby was at more risk in that crib than sleeping with the parents
would have been.

Felicia Henry
Bradley Instructor
La Leche League Leader
Oxnard, CA
Who still co-sleeps with baby #4 and happy that baby #3 decided last year to
leave our bed, cuddly but to crowded (plus he had to sleep with a handful of
my hair).