From:
Peter Harzem <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Oct 2001 08:15:23 -0600
Of course, what one sees as a beautiful city--in the present context,
associated with music--is a matter of personal taste.  Having said that,
may I add to the list three personal favorites?

   Helsinki
   Istanbul
   Rio de Janeiro.

Helsinki's musical association is obvious.  The bonus is the clean (one
might say 'scrubbed') beauty of the city.  I think of Helsinki as I do of
the beauty of the face of a woman with clear, almost translucent complexion
and no make-up whatever.  (I hope no one thinks this a sexist comment!)

Istanbul is, of course, glorious in its ancient buildings, history, and
the friendliness of its people.  The bonus here is the wonderful 'classical'
Turkish music.  Lovers of (western) classical music who have not heard that
music are missing a treat.

Oh, and Rio.  If you have been fortunate to fly low over Rio at night,
you will know the beauty of the city shimmering with its lights, reflected
over the water of its ever extending inlets.  As for Brasilian music, it
creates poignant, at times melancholic and at others exuberant feelings,
reflecting, I think, the Brasilian character.  Much of the lyrics of
popular tunes are clever, intelligent (I do not speak Portuguese but know
it from friends' translations)and some are social comment and protest.
For example, some years ago the refrain of one such song was:

"The police are here Help, send for the thieves."

Peter Harzem