From:
Mats Norrman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Oct 2001 22:54:10 -0800
Margaret Mikulska <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Why should silent worship be stifling? To whom? How about some
>understanding that this silent "worship" may be simply re-living the
>experience of the music just heard?

Silent worship is not wrong in the right place.  But I think it is first
when a person feels "this music in this concert is for ME", then he reacts
spontaneously, and with a true responce he will influence and inspire the
others to have the same feeling in themselves strengthened.  But after the
Nazi rallies of Nuernberg and similar I guess to feel together with an
audience is taboo.  Just that it is not at the rockconcert.  Why?

>Besides, so far, thanks goodness, people who bothered to learn how to
>behave at a concert are still in a majority.

Oh yes, learn them that they shall be silent and quiet and proper and show
respect for things that they understand nothing about!  Right!

>>React away, Mats!
>
>Right.  Be selfish, annoy other listeners and the artists, don't even
>bother to be considerate.

Hey!  When you go to a concert what are you going for really??? When it
comes to me, I go thereto for the ENGAGEMENT and PASSION.  If I find this
in the players and the result, I applause.  If I don't find it I don't
applause.  And if it is totally unengaged I shout "booh".  I mean what the
heck are the musicians there fore if not to live out their artistery? If
they just were send there to do a monotounus movement of arms for their
payment, why not put up a Drehorgel or Mechanical Piano on the stage
instead having people to listen, like on the funfair? How about coparing
this to sports events? Do you think that people shall worship their
favourite football team on the stadium silent too? As the poet writes "In
hell laughing is forbidden".

Mats Norrman