From:
Deryk Barker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Feb 2002 11:14:23 -0800
Bert Bailey ([log in to unmask]) wrote:

>Peter Wisse replied to Steve S's question:
>
>>>Is this a real painting?  Have you seen it?
>>
>>Yes, but actually it was not blue, but red, Barry Newman's "who is
>>afraud of red, yellow and blue".  It was in the Rijksmuseum in
>>Amsterdam, ...
>
>Interestingly, quite a furore was raised in Ottawa when our National
>Gallery acquired a painting by this man (who hails from Chicago, IIRC).
>At least a million, and perhaps 3, was spent for the piece (...the name
>of which I do not wish to recall).

I believe the artist's name is Barnet Newman - maybe hsi friends called him
Barry.

Althoguh I haven't seen the one in Ottawa, I have seen paintings by BN
in the Tate in London and IMHO they are superb - but they have to be
appreciated in the flesh.  They are not simply daubs of the same colour,
you can see many gradations of shades, but these do not reproduce.

IMHO the paintings of Newman and Rothko, inter alia, appeal to the same
aesthetic sense as the music of Reich and Riley.

deryk barker
([log in to unmask], http://www.camosun.bc.ca/~dbarker)