From:
Steven Martin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Oct 2001 08:59:56 EST
[log in to unmask] writes:

>For sure, the people who are attracted to the beauty of Mozart, Bach, and
>other classical composers of the past are generally not attracted to an
>ugly aesthetic.  And the people who are attracted to Nine Inch Nails are
>not attracted to music that is organized in a way which is not easily
>understandable.

Speak for yourself, I happen to like Bach, Mozart and Nine Inch Nails.
I guess to me the true enemy of music is Muzak or mindless pop/country/rap.
Now that you mention it, it is the exact ugliness of some rock music that
makes it great.  There is plenty of ugly classical out there too.  In fact
one of the barriers I had to Mahler was that sometimes it seemed he was
deliberately marring what should have been beautiful music.  I now see
that tension in his music as what makes it more interesting than other
composers.

Steve