From:
Mats Norrman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Oct 2001 04:54:56 -0700
Christopher Webber <[log in to unmask]> shares some support with me:

>The romantics placed their art on a pedestal and expected people to
>admire it in reverence.  It's not their fault that this attitude has now
>become ossified, parodic.  As a natural, joyous and healthy part of life's
>experience, music deserves more respect than the stifling, silent worship
>of that significant minority of concertgoers today, who are content to pay
>it (closed) lip service.

Example: On the score to his last symphony, "Schottische Sinfonie",
Mendelssohn wrote that each movement should be trenned by a rest (=people
could applause), although the symphonys intentional constuction - which
brigdes as "contacts" at the ends of the movements - allows the whole
symphony to be played as one large single movement in a row.

Do I dare to suggest that it was the music of 20th Century Modernism
itself that had this nice tradition of applause en masse to come to an
end.  If one listens to a piece by Silvestrov, Barraque etc, it ought to
be impossible to predict the endcoming or be sure not yet another movement
of music follows.  Fortunately these composers must have been happy when
they got so great chances to express themselves.  "Sei der du bist",
wrote Nietzsche, and he went mad!

>React away, Mats!

ROAR!!

Mats Norrman