Walter Meyer <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 20 Oct 2001 19:10:56 -0400
Female Schatz wrote:

>It raises the question for me of how much better can it get? Does anyone
>have any thoughts on the best orchestras around the US and the world and
>how they differ from others? Or tales of the differences that they found
>going from a small, minor orchestra to a major one?

Welcome to the DC area.  While I've been a devoted listener to classical
music since my teens, about 55 years ago, I still don't feel qualified
to judge and compare major orchestras.  When people name the nations top
symphony orchestras, which at least until recently would include the
Chicago, New York, Philadelphia, Boston, Cleveland, LA and San Francisco,
but not really the National Symphony, I don't think the latter is chopped
liver.  Similarly, I don't think sufficient attention here is given to the
Baltimore Symphony, only about 40 miles away, which when Zinman (sp?) was
conducting was considered by some superior to Rostropovich's National.

I think it's the Washington Performing Arts Society, which sponsors a
series of concerts from world renowned symphony orchestras each season.
I think it would be nice if somebody arranged for annual "home and homes"
between the National and the Baltimore, each orchestra playing in the
other's hall at least once a season.

Enjoy your move to DC and its musical life.

Walter Meyer