From:
Steve Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Oct 2001 15:32:18 -0500
Albie Cabrera:

>Why are Schnabel's compositions heard less frequently in proportion to
>his performances than the compositions of Boulez? Are they inferior
>compositions? If so, can somebody explain why?

I've never heard a note of Schnabel's own music.  I have, however, read
several critiques of it.  The consensus of what I read was "not enough
rests" -- a propensity for jamming too much into every piece.  As to why
he's not performed as much as Boulez, I'm sure the fact that he's dead (and
when he wasn't, he modestly refrained from playing his own stuff) and Boulez
is not.

Steve Schwartz