HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
George Myers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Mar 2002 00:08:06 -0500
Quahog is also spelled quahaug. New York State, while voting for the State
muffin, dinosaur and other legislative brain busters voted on a state shell.
It was a really "horseneck" clam race right down to the razor clam but
between the scallop, oyster and clam, the scallop shell won, though not a
general election, a settlement was made in the houses of the legislature
thought to immure the populace to the policies of said houses. No recount
was demanded, no protests lodged, to my knowledge. Some of the worst fishing
practice on the high seas, dragging ocean bottoms for scallops,
indiscriminate destruction, though remedied it is thought by new technology
that "sees" on the bottom, may result in another species (along with its
habitat) going the way of the dodo without proper management. Bay scallops
swim apparently and can be caught with nets. My first fieldschool was in a
scallop midden in Mt. Sinai Harbor, on the north shore of Long Island, which
I use to pass on the way to Cedar Beach many summers growing up along the
Pipe Stave Hollow Road.