HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
"Bernard L. Fontana" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Oct 2001 17:32:00 -0700
It's late 19th century rather than early 20th, and on a far more
modest scale than the examples you cite, but the principle is the
same.  These are pioneer ethnologist W J McGee's 1894 and 1895
expeditions in southern Arizona and Sonora, Mexico to recover
information and artifacts among the Papago and Seri Indians.  You can
read about it in "Trails to Tiburón: The 1894 and 1895 Field Diaries
of W J McGee," transcribed by Hazel Fontana with an introduction and
notes by Bernard L. Fontana (Tucson: The University of Arizona Press,
2000).
    B. Fontana