Date:
Thu, 27 Sep 2001 21:20:52 +0200

"In the hospital, while I am giving breastfeeding help, they should be giving
lessons on bottlefeeding, and leave the breastfeeding mothers alone.=20
Sterilizing utensils, making the drinking water really safe, how to hold =
the bottle, the baby, etc."

 I don't think that I want the formula companies in the hospitals at all. Not to teach bf and certainly not to get their hands on potential bf'ers in the maternity wards. It is not the job of formula companies or any companies to " teach" anything. They always have one thing in mind, and not necessarily the benefit of the new mom and baby.  It is definitely the job of hcp's to teach moms.  But they must be savvy not only in bf'g but formula feeding in the rare incidence (hopefully) of moms who will want to formula feed. So many moms ask us which formula is best. I can't tell them because I do not know.  It is their responsibility to choose amongst the many options and the hcp must not recommend one over the other by way of  which company has the greatest presence (read: presents) in the hospital.

As we are trying to pass a law in the parliament here in Israel to ban companies from giving free formula to hospitals and try to get out all of the promotional materials it is important to differentiate between "information" and "advertising".  We agree with those opposing the law that a mom deserves to get "information" regarding both bf'g and formula feeding, but they must be able to have access to this info without promotional pressure in order to make an educated choice.

Esther, I think we should try to get the companies to print the instructions a bit bigger. I had a good laugh, because I also had the very same thing happen, when for the first time, a mom did not bring EBM nor formula to feed a very hungry baby. Guess she thought we would solve her problems in a matter of a few minutes with our magic wand! I sent the Dad out to buy a tin, and sure enough, I was at a loss!! We live and we learn, but my eyesight sure didn't help me!!!

Ellen shein, ibclc, Tel Aviv