From:
Gene Halaburt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Sep 2001 06:09:38 -0600
[log in to unmask] wrote:

>Can I recommend Sir Colin's new recording live with the LSO, available on
>the LSO LIVE label LSO0007 (www.lso.co.uk, or suppliers in US). I have to
>declare an interest as principal viola in the LSO but I was not playing on
>the occasion of this recorded concert, I was in the audience, and I've
>never heard a better performance.
>Paul Silverthorne

Being a long-time fan of Berlioz, Sir Colin and the LSO (I attended both
the 1957 Kubelik Covent Garden "Les Troyens" and the recent superb Sir
Colin/LSO St. Paul's performance of the "Requiem,") I have both the 1963
Philips Davis/LSO and the 2000 LSO-Live recording "Fantastiques", as well
as the 1974 Philips Davis/Concertgebeouw recording.  Somehow I missed the
1990 Wiener Philharmoniker recording, which is the reason for my request.
If you played at the St. Paul's concert, we were quite close, since our
seats were in the first row, numbers A-10 and A-11.  And you are quite
right about the LSO-Live performances, they are indeed "magical."

Gene Halaburt