HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Carol McDavid <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Sep 2001 14:21:45 -0700
Apologies for crossposting -- this message is going to members of both the
historical archaeology and public history listservs.

I am consulting with a community organization which has asked me to ask you
the following question:

Does anyone on this list know of anyone who would be qualified to appraise
the *monetary* value of archaeological objects which are archaeologically
and historically significant, but possibly not significant in terms that
would be recognized by traditional and/or commercial (e.g, "Antiques
Roadshow" etc.) collectors? By this I mean that it is primarily the artifact
*contexts* (spatial, social, and historical) which have enabled the objects
themselves to be interpreted properly, and thus to be important in
archaeological and historical terms.

I know this query touches on issues surrounding commodification, collecting,
etc., that are disturbing to many archaeologists, historians, and other
stewards of the past -- but I assure you it is in aid of a Good Cause!! It
is aimed at helping to create a new interpretive center at an archaeogical
site which is of significant academic and public importance. In order for
this to happen, ownership of the site and its artifacts must be
transferred -- hence the need for accurate, sensitive, and responsible
appraisals by experienced professionals.

Please respond off-list if you know of a person or persons who might have
done this sort of appraisal before. If  you need to know more, please
communicate with me directly.

Many thanks,

Carol McDavid

Department of Archaeology, University of Cambridge
1638 Branard, Houston, Texas, 77006, USA
(713) 523-2649
www.webarchaeology.com