From:
Rachel Myr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Aug 2001 09:04:29 +0200
I want to pass this along to everyone who holds classes which cover feeding
on hunger cues.
Wednesday evening I attended the first parents' meetings of all six of the
entering classes at my son's middle school.  All the children in these
classes were born in 1988.  I went to talk up the benefits of being a parent
contact in the PTA.  We organised it so the principal, the two counselors,
the school nurse and I went from class to class with our spiels on our
various areas of responsibility.  The nurse mentioned how important it is to
eat breakfast and to bring a lunch (school cafeterias are unheard of here
until secondary school, age 16 and up).  The principal chimed in - on cue -
that since the school day has been reorganised, they now have lunch break at
11:40, rather than 11:00 as before.  He advised parents to send an apple or
a banana with the kids, because 'if they've eaten breakfast at 7:30 or so,
four hours is WAY too long to wait for the next meal.  Why, the teachers
certainly can't manage it, and we see that the pupils are getting restless
and having trouble concentrating the last hour or so.'
After the third such session I couldn't resist, and told them how
interesting I found this, since I work mainly with parents of newborns, many
of whom are in a great hurry to get the babies onto a schedule of
breastfeeding every four hours.  And here they are saying that adults and
teens can't go without food for that long!
I think they got the point.  Now I will see whether the next group of
hospital staff get it when I do my next seminar.
cheers
Rachel Myr
Norway
where we seem to expect to be able to eat when we're barely hungry, all our
lives, except during the one period when it really would be a good idea