From:
"Glass, Marsha" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Aug 2001 13:24:18 -0500
I have a question for the herbalists on the list.  I have a new mother (has
2 week old) that already has been diagnosed with thrush and treatment
prescribed for her and baby.  A friend of hers suggested a product called
"Baby Life" that has bifidobacteria in it that says it is for babies and
nursing mothers.  I've never heard of this, but it sounds like the same sort
of thing as using yogurt for a yeast infection, living cultures that help
get the yeast back in check.  The liquid is either added to a drink (for
baby, it would have to be mom's milk in a bottle) or given directly to both
mom and baby.  Does anyone know anything about this stuff?  Mom has already
bought it, but isn't using it yet, and is using the Nystatin her doc
prescribed.  She's waiting for my information before she does anything with
it.  I should mention that she is hurting so bad that she is feeding her
frozen milk (thawed of course! ;-) ) to her baby and pumping minimally
because of the pain.  Of course I talked to her about all that.  I just
spoke with this mom for the first time about this situation, so all of this
has occurred independent of me.  Her doc dx the thrush.    How about it
Jennifer, Melisa, or anybody.  What do you know about this remedy?  TIA!

Marsha, who is soooooo looking forward to a 3-day weekend, and who was
rather sad that it was time for the kids to go back to school.