From:
Samizdat® <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Nov 2001 17:53:13 +1200
the Gussow's of Tucson wrote:
> Yes we have a lot to be thankful
>for the "Scientists" who do more harm than good.

        In it context this looks to be a sarcastic remark.
        If what is meant (otherwise what is the intention of the quote
marks?) is that pseudo-scientists do more harm than good, I agree.
        If however what is meant is the Norman Mailer line that actual
scientists have done more harm than good, then reasons are needed.  The
onus is on those who state this slogan to support it with some facts &
reasoning.  Just within the beekeeping realm, George Imirie has already
given a good answer; but the slogan may be intended to reflect unfavourably
on science in general.  If so, I feel some justification would appear to be
required.  Seeing it from within is my fate; from that viewpoint I believe
science has done more good than harm.
        In preparing their response, the Gussows should try to discriminate
between science and technology.