From:
Darlene A Breed <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Jul 2001 00:50:41 -0400
  After I needed to back off, they looked into
> buying
> donated milk from a milk bank.  What they found out really bothered
> me....first of all, we could not find ANY milk banks near us in
> Michigan.
There are only 5 milk banks in the US and one in Canada and Mexico.  Milk
is not sold.  The donated milk has to be processed and the charge is for
processing the milk.  Just like blood has to be processed.  Blood is much
more expensive than $2.50/oz.  The cost to process is never recovered.  A
baby who needs milk for medical reasons is never refused milk even if the
insurance or parents can't pay for it.  This is in the Guidlines for
HMBANA (Human Milk Banking Association of North America).
> Secondly, they did find a bank somewhere that wanted $2.50/ounce for
> the milk
Actually answered above.  There is also the cost of shipping the milk,
storing the milk and having somone come in to process the milk.
Processing the screeening for the donors and the lab work that needs to
be done after the processing.  All costing money.  Again I state the milk
itself is not sold because it is donated.  The fee is a processing fee.
Actual cost to process far exceeds the $2.50/oz.  You need to talk
directly to the milk bank supplying the milk to get other information
because each milk bank has different ways of trying to recover the acutal
cost.  Some insurances in some states reimburse and others don't.  It is
a lot of work for the coordinators/directors of the milk banks to keep up
to date on the insurance information.  WIC not longer reimbuses and they
used to.  Having been a coordinator of a milk bank in MA, until this last
October, when the hospital could no longer afford to fund the milk bank,
it is a tremencous amount of work and love for those who work at the milk
banks.  It is a work of love and careing that no one can understand if
they have never worked for a milk bank.  Maybe it would be worth looking
into helping support a milk bank in your area.  Be prepared to work hard
and long hours to do the work of love we have all done.
> (!!!)  Thirdly, they couldn't leave their home often because it
> would be
> delivered via FedEx and they couldn't tell them when the truck might
> arrive.
Usually the milk bank will ship out overnight on a particular day of the
week so the only day you have to stay at home is the day the milk is
expected because you don't want it to thaw out before you put it away.
It is worth it for your baby's health.
> I think we figured out that at that point, together with the milk
> she COULD
> produce, that it would cost them over $2000 a month to get donated
> milk.
Remember some insurance companies reimburse and some don't.  Five milk
banks do the best they can.  Support from communities and hospitals is
minimal and the work of processing is very involved to produce a product
that is safer than formula.

I commend you for donating your own milk, but receiving milk from a milk
bank is not all that hard if you really need the milk and the milk is
available.  Like blood donations sometimes the supply is low or special
requests for dairy free milk can cause more work for the milk bank.
I hope this helps you understand a little more about the milk banking
process.  I would be very glad to talk with you privately if you have
other questions that have not been addressed here.
 My sister in law joked that I
> could make
> a million by selling my milk.....but isn't that sad.
You cannot sell your milk to make money.  Milk Banks are regulated by the
guidelines of HMBANA and are considered a tissue bank by the CDC.  It is
an involved process, which is why we have the organization and the
guidelines.
Thank you for listening to me explain as best I can the process.

Again a truly inspiring story of you helping someone who needed a lot of
help.  You are a wonderful person for doing so.
Please contact me privately if I can be of further assistance.

Thank you,
Darlene Breed, BS, RN, IBCLC
Coordinator, Breastfeeding Center
UMass Memorial Medical Center