Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Tue, 3 Jul 2001 19:37:49 -0400
From:
Margaret Mikulska <[log in to unmask]>
Mats Norrman wrote:

>And Pachelbel with an accent on the middle syllable doesn't sound weird
>at all.  I am used to hear (read read) errartic Englishifications at this
>time.

I said that the stress on the *last* syllable of Pachelbel sounds weird.
The stress on the middle syllable is how one pronounces the name in German.
The stress on the first syllable is commonly used by English speakers
unaware of the correct stress.  (BTW, the pronunciation of "ch" was not
under discussion, just the stress.) I hope this is clear by now.  Repetitio
est mater studiorum, but I think enough is enough.

As for the descendants of Pachelbel, Wolff just mentioned that one it still
alive.  Changes or not, native German speakers stress this name on the
penultimate syllable.  The one that happens to be in the middle.

Thank you for the news, but it's rather stale.  Do you happen to have
anything more recent?

-Margaret Mikulska