HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"paul.courtney2" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
paul.courtney2
Date:
Mon, 27 Nov 2000 14:57:16 +0000
The problem certainly here in Britain is that the problem of storage
facilities and cost is increasingly being foisted upon us. Rational culling
is increasingly a necessity and most US archaeologists would have their
minds blown by the sheer volume of tile a Roman urban site can produce.In
the past we depended on the charity of our museum network. Increasingly our
museums are underfunded and working in political environments where they are
having to justify having collections at all. Many of our city museums are
now in arts and leisure departments where the only criteria applied is
vistor figures and museums are competing against sports etc purely on those
grounds. Many museums are now desperate to shed their historic buildings and
reduce their collections to bring their budgets down. "Disposals" is the big
growth area. My own local museum service has gone from being internationally
reknowned to a basket case within 5 years. In this scenario we are
increasingly seeing disparate criteria on a local and regional level.
Certainly in some areas already there is nowhere to deposit archaeological
finds e.g. much of Northamptonshire where the largest museum now only
collects within its borough boundary after a century of county-wide
collection. One of the arguments we need to fight is that culture is just
not about the here and now but about the future. I always remember the film
"The Train" with Burt Lancaster where a French resistance group of train
workers who have never been in an art gallery sacrifice many lives to save a
train of famous paintings. In Britain it is a battle we are in danger of
losing.