HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Denis Gojak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Feb 2002 09:45:30 +1100
I think very similar conflicts happened between English Heritage and
police versus a variety of visitors to Stonehenge.  Christopher
Chippindale's book *Stonehenge complete * discusses some of this sort of
activity, and I think it was also covered in later publications by
english Heritage.

The range of issues - long-term attrition of shallow archaeology by pit
toilets, vehicles churning up wet ground into bogs, removal of veg.
cover - all seem to have applied, along with the similar clash between
alternative cultures and the pigs, man.

Denis Gojak
Heritage Asset Manager
Planning NSW

PO Box 404
Parramatta NSW 2124

Ph - 02 9895 7940
F -   02 9895 7946
E -  [log in to unmask]

>>> [log in to unmask] 02/12/02 04:12am >>>
The Rainbow "Tribe" is required to obtain special use permits for
their
gatherings, just as with any other users.  The Rainbow "Tribe", feels
they
are above special use permits, saying that "national forests are free
for
everyone".

They often elect a "diplomat" to enter into "talks" with the National
Forest, trying to avoid obtaining an actual use permit.  From what I
understand the talks are not much more than a person complaining to
the
person at the front desk.

The permits, depending on the location and description of the event,
often
require environmental reviews.  I've seen some years where the Rainbow
folks
actually went through the permit process and pulled off large
gathering
complete with porta-potties and proposed mitigations.

Most years it seems, because of their stubbornness to obtain permits,
they
are fragmented into small groups and are confined to camp grounds--in
which
case they usually move on in fairly short order.  Also, during the
non-permit gatherings, Law Enforcement spends a lot of energy chasing
them
around the forest because of their non-compliance.

A couple years ago, a permitted gathering was allowed on Six Rivers
National
Forest.  Last summer they attempted an unofficial gathering at a
sacred
spring/meadow on Mt Shasta (Also Six Rivers NF).  That one fizzled
out,
instead the bulk of the group moved on to Montana, I understand.

Patrick Brunmeier, MA
Lead Forest Planning Archaeologist
Alpine Land Information Services, Inc.

>From: Ron May <[log in to unmask]>
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Re: Preservation
>Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 10:58:15 -0500
>
>Although I do not know the nature of the archaeology present, Six
Rivers
>National Forest attempted to bar the Rainbow Children (a confederation
of
>hippy communal groups, vagabonds, and alternative lifestyle people
who
>gather
>once a year at forests and parks in the U.S.) because of anticipated
damage
>to the ecosystem and archaeology at Six Rivers National Forest. It is
my
>understanding the Forest Supervisor capitulated and permitted the
Rainbow