From:
Janos Gereben <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Feb 2002 21:24:41 -0800
Here, in NBC-deprived San Francisco, we the cable-free try exotic stations
in the double numbers at night in search of "West Wing."

And so I came to a fuzzy picture tonight on one of those channels. It
was "Aida" and there was a closeup of a woman who looked like an African
version of Elizabeth Taylor.  Through the snow and interference, she was
beginning to look like Taylor herself - in blackface.  The music was
approaching Aida's entrance and Looks-Like-Taylor stood up...  but did
not sing.

The opera house became silent and in the pit, somebody looking like a
young Toscanini stared at Aida-Who-Didn't-Sing.  Taylor - 'twas she!  -
stepped forward and made a speech about slave trade...  and I lost the
station, giving up on "West Wing" as well, realizing that luge doubles
or something like that has deprived the rest of the country of "WW" too.

 From the brief encounter, I surmise it must have be "Young Toscanini" -
a film I only heard about (Zeffirelli?).  Did I miss much? Is it better
than the compulsory round of women's snowboarding?

Janos Gereben/SF