From:
Christine Labroche <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Jul 2001 17:08:23 +0200
Heinz Kern:

>Does anybody know any compositions - apart from Holst's Planets and
>Stockhausen's Zodiac - that are related to Astronomy, Astrology or the
>Universe?

The cosmic impact of Van Gogh's "La Nuit etoilee" (Starry Night) brought
Henri Dutilleux to compose "Timbre, espace, mouvement" (1977, rev.1991)
and the 'vision' is as structural as it is inspirational.

Olivier Messiaen's "Des canyons aux etoiles" (1970-74) has a distinctive
cosmic feel in its stars though it was inspired by American landscape.

Still in France, there is Hugues Dufourt's spinning "Saturne"(1979), a
spectral experience...

Rued Langgard left us an ecstatic, visionary "Music of the Spheres"
(1916-18).  Wonderful.

Roberto Gerhard gave his own and his wife's zodiacal signs to two pieces:
"Gemini"(1966) for violin and piano and "Leo"(1969), a chamber symphony for
ten players, and there is also a chamber piece, "Libra"(1969).  I only know
this because I have recently been listening to his extremely interesting
third symphony "Collages"(1960) which began as a hymn of praise to the
universe inpired by sunrise seen from a plane window which he likened to
the blast of ten thousand trumpets.

I particularly appreciate Barry Conyngham's "Southern Cross"(1981),
a double concerto for violin and piano. And as I am still making a
definite stand for the exquisite Toru Takemitsu, I could not possibly
forget "Asterism" (1967) for piano and orchestra,"Gemaux" (Gemini.1971,
rev.86) for oboe, trombone and two orchestras, "Cassiopeia"(1971) for
percussionist and orchestra, "Star-Isle"(1982) for orchestra,
"Orion.and.Pleiades" (1984) for cello and ochestra, and finally just
"Orion"(1984) for cello and piano.

I have references for most of these works should anyone require them.
If anyone can tell me where I can find "Asterism" and "Cassiopeia", I
would be most grateful...

Regards,

Christine Labroche