HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Iain Stuart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Jul 2001 18:15:06 +1000
Actually radio detection was quite advanced during WWII. Many warships were
equipped with HF detectors so that they could home in on U-boats
transmissions. How do you think they found the Bismarck? When "lost" by the
RN the Bismarck conveniently transmitted a long list of repairs and
decoration recommendations to Naval HQ which allowed a fix to be obtained on
its location and a search to be initiated which obtained visual confirmation
and ultimately the destruction of the vessel.

Transmission from a fixed location was a major problem as it was so easily
detected. apart from interception and decoding the sheer volume and type of
transmissions could be analysed to establish the type of station
transmitting. Secret agents were particularly vulnerable because of their
fixed location.

I seem to recall that the swastika was an Indian symbol that I remember
appearing in the illustrations for the Just so Stories and the Jungle Book
by Rudyard Kipling. It sort of confirmed my suspicions about the Boy Scouts.

My theory about why the radio was located where it was, was because the
"Reds" had used all the space under the bed! (only joking).

yours

Dr Iain Stuart
Principal, Archaeology and Heritage Management
HLA-Envirosciences Pty. Ltd.
P.O. Box 726
Pymble, NSW 2073
Australia