From:
Lynne Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Jun 2001 14:18:23 -0600
Here is some info on Ephedra from "The Health Professional's Guide to
Popular Dietary Supplements". I got the book from the American Dietetic
Association.
"Used in Chinese medicine for 5,000 years, ma huang is the dried stem of
Ephedra sinica. The alkaloids of ma huang, ephedrine and
pseudoephedrine, are found in many over-the-counter cold and asthma
medications (synthetic form) and dietary supplements (botanical form).
Ephedra alkaloids are powerful central nervous system (CNS) stimulants.
Ephedrine, a sympathomimetic agent, causes vasoconstriction and cardiac
stimulation. Pseudoephedrine enhances bronchodialation and decreases
symptoms of nasal congestion. Serious side-effects including rapid heart
beat, hypertension, arteriole constriction, and even death led the FDA's
1996 warning to avoid ma huang/ephedring-containing dietary
supplements".
There is more info in the book, but I thought this would give you a good
introduction to the herb (or drug). I would definately not recommend it
for a breastfeeding woman.
Lynne Dawson, RD, IBCLC

 From:    Diane Wiessinger <[log in to unmask]>