Date:
Fri, 15 Jun 2001 23:10:43 EDT
I spent another evening with our baby and Mom. Except tonight the mom went
home to eat dinner and read bedtime stories with her four older children.
The baby is doing well, has gained 6 oz, all on breastmilk so far.Nursing and
has a continous feed in a NG tube. The mom has 15 oz  of expressed milk  in
the frig at the hospital.  I asked for some time with the charge nurse. I had
prepared an updated curriculum vitae, and handouts about the IBLCE, pathways,
etc from the website. Also had 5 journal articles about the risk of cow's
milk associated with diabetes ( I thought 5 was enough-since they wre all
from "big name" journals).  I had the chart with the caloric values of human
milk vs the different types of formula, and some of Dr Newman's articles on
Reglan and Increasing Your Milk ( since the cardiac nurse got a prescription
for Reglan and started the mom on that)  and Bfing under Special Situations.
( Thanks Dr Jack).
I also had the AAP statement on Human Milk. All copied, and clipped together
in nice green folders. I was very calm, nice, and professional. I started out
by telling her that  I wanted to use these events as teachable moments, and
as a visiting health care professional, I certainly appreciated being treated
with the same amount of respect I would extent to a visiting professional at
my facility. We discussed what IBCLC means, how we fit into the team, who I
am, and what some of the rationale is behind what the parents had chosen to
do. The CV really impressed her.  She wanted to know why on earth this
hospital doesn't hire me! We ended up talking for an hour ( with the baby
cooing and joining in the conversation from my arms). She called in two other
nurses to introduce them and show them my CV. She had a idea who on staff had
been resistant to the breastmilk and said she would be happy to use the
materials in doing some staff education. She kept apologizing and said she
would have the one yesterday who told the parents to only listen to real
professionals to foramlly apologize also.
Since it is the weekend, I hope the MD's will be few and far between. Just
let the mom and baby chill out, make milk and fatten up the baby.
They did order 500 extra calories for the mom at each meal and I got at laugh
at the extra calories-pudding, ice cream and milk shakes. The mom doesn't eat
sugar but she said it sure is tempting, looking at that sitting in the room
each meal.
Well, we didn't educate the MD's or the SpecialtyNurses or the Nutritionist,
but we made a start. With 3 nurses.
PS-her milk analysis  hasn't been returned yet from the Mayo Clinic. Maybe
she can get discharged before it gets here!

Barbara Whitehead, IBCLC