From:
Helen Armstrong <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Jun 2001 16:34:46 -0400
Barbara Wilson-Clay said June 10 regarding the Meier study:
"I do feel more confidant now that that data
follows from the bottle and the immature breathing stability of the babies
rather than from insensitive feeding method.  I think that doing oxygen
saturation monitoring of other forms of alternate feeding is incumbant
before we push one method over another.  We may find that cup feeding with
good technique provides similar or better results.  But I have not seen that
data.  Has anyone else?"

Not yet having noticed a Lactnet response to Barbara's query, I would mention that CR Howard et al found no significant differences in oxygen saturation rates, overall heart and respiratory rates, time required and amount ingested between cup and bottle fed groups of full term newborns. They did find lower overall heart and respiratory rates, and higher oxygen saturation rates, in the group that were breastfed. (Howard CR et al. Physiologic stability of newborns during cup- and bottle-feeding. Pediatrics 1999; 104(5):1204-7)  This was a RCT of the three techniques on 123 newborns, but only during one feed. N = cup 51, bottle 47, breast 25.

Helen