Date:
Wed, 13 Jun 2001 19:28:43 EDT
Got a good case for the collective Lactnet wisdom. I have no clue about this
mom and neither does my collegue.  Here's what we posted in the nurses' notes:

Pt presented with large mass located bilaterally in both upper quadrants
below the axillary  region.  Mass presents as squared, approximately 1/2" in
depth and begins about midline [above nipple] on both breasts. Tx have
included cold packs, binding, milk removal, massage and warm packs with no
relief to affected area. Balance of breast appears within normal limits. Mass
is painful to palpatation and very hard to the touch.  Pt is a 19 year old
G-1, P-1
Pt reports Hx of cyclically similar masses since the onset of menses at age
13.  Pt reports the masses begin to be reabsorbed by day 3 of menstrual
periods, but on day 7 postpartum, no evidence of reabsorbtion has been noted
with respect to the mass.  Pt is not breastfeeding, nor does she plan to
breastfeed [she did put the baby to brest initially for an unknown duration,
but dc'ed after the masses became so uncomfortable.]
Recommend ultrasound and/or sonogram to determine composition and verify size
of mass and rule out CA. If these tests are inconclusive, recommend testing
of progesterone and estrogen levels and/or biopsy.

If anyone has a clue as to what we're dealing with here - we'd love your
input! TIA.

Gretchen Andrews, BA, IBCLC and Joyce Heitmeyer, MS, CLE, CNS