From:
Mandy O'Reilly <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Jun 2001 19:32:42 -0400
Dear All

I recently discovered a consignment of Infant Formula that had been
imported into the country (Jakarta, Indonesia) that violates the local
regualtions relating to the International Code. Fortunately the retailer
concerned has been very cooperative and the stuff was taken of the shelves
promptly.

One of the products was a low iron infant formula -two different brands.
The similac container was marked for infants 0 - 12 months and next to this
was a tiny asterix. Right at the bottom of the back of the container the
corresponding asterix ( in half point type almost) said "supplemental iron
should be obtained from alternative sources". GRRR!

I did an internet search and found that this stuff is apparently being
markedted for babies who have "gastric upset".

Does anyone have more info about this? The particular tin came from Germany
by the way but I understand it was ordered through a USA distributor.

Kind Regards

Mandy O'Reilly
IBCLC
Nurse Midwife