HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Allen Vegotsky <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Jan 2002 21:00:56 -0500
Regarding the chemical action of lime in a privy, not all of the facts have
been listed.  Lime is Ca(OH)2 (the "2" should be a subscript).  It will
neutralize the acids in the privy resulting in water and calcium salts
(which would generally be odorless).  If there is more lime than acids, then
the excess lime will remain, and this is likely.  The lingering odor after
treatment with lime is most likely due to organic compounds, and gases &
byproducts resulting from microbial decay of these compounds.  The excess
lime will kill most microbes and retard microbial activity.

Allen Vegotsky