From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Jun 2001 16:07:47 -0400
In my initial posting on this thread, I highly recommended Volume 2 of the
Naxos disc of organ works by Anthoni van Noordt (8.554205).  My intent was
to order Volume 1 (8.554204); however, this volume was already at the same
store where I purchased Volume 2, just placed in a different location.  So
I have had the opportunity to now listen to Volume 1 which is performed by
Peter Ouwerkerk who is in his early thirties and lives in Amsterdam.  This
volume consists of three Fantasias and six Psalms.

I'm not as enthusiastic about Volume I and the reasons largely revolve
around the performers of the two volumes.  Cees van der Poel, the organist
for Volume 2, strongly projects the forward drive in van Noordt's
compositions without any loss in lyricism.  Mr. Ouwerkerk does not seem
as concerned with this aspect of the music, although his performances are
certainly enjoyable and convey as well as Volume 2 the music's beauty.
Also, Volume I does not have any works which I find as inspired as the
Fantasia No. 5 and Psalm XXXVIII in Volume II.

Don's Conclusion: vanNoordt's Volume II is the disc to go for - better
music and performances.  Volume I is recommended for those who would like
to further explore van Noordt's music; this volume is still very enjoyable
and a fine addition to the library.

Don Satz