From:
"Berkeley, Libby" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 May 2001 12:20:35 -0600
Hola lactnuts:

I hope this message gets to all of you (I have been having trouble with my
address).  This concerns a woman who attended a newborn class of mine, not a
breastfeeding class, yesterday.  She had previously attended a breastfeeding
class, with no mention of what I am about to report.  After the class she
lingered behind.  She said she was afraid she would not be able to
breastfeed and so I asked her why.  She said she "could not touch her
breasts".  I assumed she meant that they were sore.  She said no, that she
COULD NOT touch her breasts, pregnant or not.  At that point I realized we
were talking about a psychological problem.  This is something I do not feel
qualified to deal with.  The best answer I could come up with was that she
might give it a try, that I would be glad to help her, and that if she
really felt that she could not do it, then she would have at least tried.  I
also asked her if she had any family members who had breastfed.  She said
her sister had.  To this I happily responded, "Well!  there you go.  I am
sure she will be glad to help you" and she answered in a shocked tone, "I
would NEVER let my sister see my breasts!!"

Has anyone ever dealt with this before?  I wondered about her history of
abuse or rape.  Of course, that is WAY out of my scope, but I am going to
see her again in a few days and would be very grateful for any advice any of
you might offer.

Pertinent information:  She is about 30 y/o, a primip
                        she is fron India
                        Family is not here, but will visit at time of birth
`                       her husband is a pediatrician

Thanks! (I hope)
libby in El Paso