From:
Chris Hafner-Eaton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 May 2001 09:44:50 -0700
FYI:  To all those following breastfeeding and health policy and WHO in
general.  I must say that I'm professionally outraged by this repugnant move
on the part of the Bush Administration.  It has distinct identifiable
ramifications for lactation and all MCH professionals.
Sigh...
Chris Hafner-Eaton, PhD, MPH, CHES, IBCLC

The Washington Post
May 17, 2001
"Organizations Find Big Changes in Bush's A-List"
"Professional Groups Lose International Delegation Spots"
By Karen DeYoung

"The American Public Health Association assumed it would be invited to
join the official U.S. delegation to this week's World Health Assembly
in Geneva.  As the nation's oldest and largest organization of public
health professionals, the APHA has been a U.S. delegate to the annual
meeting of the world's health ministers for many years..."

Instead, "... 'five private-sector advisors' are on the official team,"
along with Tommy Thompson and other government officials, that will
discuss issues such as global strategies for infant and child feeding,
the AIDS pandemic, strengthening health systems, and the health effects
of depleted uranium.

Mohammad Akhter, executive director of the American Public Health
Association:

"I think this is setting a bad precedent.  This is not at all what
America is about.  It doesn't matter who the president is, we represent
the people.  That's what has put us above all the other countries in the
world.... Now, we're the same as third world countries where they bring
in their friends and make a mess of things."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A36643-2001May16.html

Comment:  Is the APHA is being punished for supporting universal health care
or maybe its stance on breastfeeding or access to midwifery services?
p.s. I'm nomail until after the Bf NOW conference.

--Chris Hafner-Eaton, PhD, MPH, CHES, IBCLC    [log in to unmask]
€€€INFANT CUISINE AND MOTHER CARE: LACTATION CONSULTING & PERINATAL CARE€€€
Corvallis, Oregon 97330
mom, wife, active UU church member, educator, lactation consultant,
homeschool mom, researcher, scientist, author, organic gardener,
photographer, wilderness adventurer, lapidary creator, lousy cleaner;)