From:
June Rychlik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Jun 2001 21:08:03 EDT
[log in to unmask] writes:

<<
 I did an internet search and found that this stuff is apparently being
 markedted for babies who have "gastric upset".

 Does anyone have more info about this? The particular tin came from Germany
 by the way but I understand it was ordered through a USA distributor.

 Kind Regards

 Mandy O'Reilly
 IBCLC >>

Hi All..
Mandy, this stuff (low iron formula)..is available over the counter!!  (Here
in the USA).   Some folks believe that the Iron in the regular formulas is
constipating or makes infants gassy.  (No controlled study has ever proven
this.)

I think the stuff shouldn't be sold personally.  In my years of WIC ..I've
seen COUNTLESS infants develop anemia on the stuff....
In light of recent studies linking infant anemia to developmental delay and
learning difficulties in school age children, I'm surprised that this
DEFICIENT formula is permitted to be sold by the FDA.
Another reason I think that infants should be breastfed..

If I get a partially breastfed baby with constipation and the mom thinks low
lron formula is the answer..I always urge her to increase breastfeeding
instead.

June Rychlik
WIC Nutritionist, Lawrence MA