From:
Sara Bernard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Jun 2001 22:43:57 +0200
Barbara Wilson-Clay  wrote:

"Many of the men are genuinely puzzled about whether they are going to be
able to think of their wives as sexual partners during lactation.  It's a
real problem, rarely
discussed. "

When I read this I had to think about our district nurse giving her talk
about engorgement.
A few evenings ago she was giving this info which included the partner
helping with massage (i find this a great idea) but then she said "you know
what, I guess a partner could also suck out some milk to relieve the
pressure before putting baby to breast". I tell you, she had to nearly
scrape me from the floor. Yes, you may laugh (or cry) but I openly admit to
being a prude (but one who's working on it).  Nobody in the group reacted
the way I did (fortunately), the only partner there thought it a good idea
but definitely not in a sexual context.
Has anyone else suggested this? After coming home and thinking about it, I
now feel that it could be a useful tip for those open to it, now that I've
been able to overcome one of my Victorian hang-ups.

Sara Bernard
(lay bf counsellor intraining (Vereniging Borstvoeding Natuurlijk, The
Netherlands)

(ps the worst thing about the situation was that it took me about ten
seconds to realise what she said - due to having to process the Dutch
irst  - so double embarrassment, prudeness & bad timing.)