Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 May 2001 22:05:50 -0600
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (17 lines)
I work on a  mother baby unit one night a week.  It seems that the nurses on night shift make it a point to let momma sleep and push for supplementing babies with formula.  I have beena  nurse for 9 years and am studying to sit for the exam this year.  I kinda feel weird telling a nurse who has 4 times the experience i do that this is wrong.  I am getting labled as a "breast nazi" at work because I am advocating for my patients right to breastfeed their children.  

The other night, I came into the nursery, like i do every week and was sharing some new knowlege i had learned via lactnet and my readings.  there was a baby there that had a big note on his basinett that said "NO PACIFIERS"  mom was sending the baby back to nursery between feedings so she coudl sleepa  little.  After being in the nursery for about 5 minutes the baby started to cry and chew on his hands.  I asked the nurse whose baby it was if she wanted me to take the baby out for her. she said "no"  and grabbed a bottle of glucose water.  I asked her why she was doign that, to which she replied, "mom doesnt have any milk, this baby is starving, and mom doesnt want the poor thing to get any formula"  she then grabbed a nipple and put it on the bottle!!!  I jumped up and grabbed a 10cc syringe (which is how I supplement a baby if asked to do so and baby is breastfeeding) and asked her if she would rather use it since mom had requested no pacifiers .  she said "no!  a bottle isnt a pacifier.."  

OK, this is where i felt very uncomfortable.  This mom is trusting that we as hospital staff are goign to abide by her wishes and not give the baby any artificial nipples, which is what i thought she wanted because of the note she had on the basinett.  Not to mention that glucose water was given, which I have noted from my readings has no calories, but jsut takes up space and decreases babies desire to breastfeed....  I tried to explain this to the nurse, who like i say has 4 times the experience i do, but she got angry and said somethnig about me being a "breast nazi"

I have been fired b4 for advocating  for my patients rights, I dont want to make bad feelings at work, but i feel like this is important.  I really try to be diplomatic, especially since i am wearing the "breast nazi"  label...any suggestions for future encounters would be greatly appreciated.

Andrea Bass, RN 
future IBCLC 

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2