From:
Kathleen Bruce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 May 2001 21:31:19 -0400
Hi Ann. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the twins, one of whom has NEC.
Points well taken..of course all babies must have a certain number of
calories per day, and we don't know all of the circumstances. Therefore it
is difficult and risky to venture a guess about the solutions.  From my
understanding, babies who breastfeed have much less chance of developing
NEC, according to the research I've read.  That was my point.   There are
some health care professionals who do not support breastfeeding as well as
they can, in my experience. I have had a NICU physician tell me that "We
are good on breastmilk pumping in our NICU, but not so good on
breastfeeding."

I think that this situation may occur in other hospitals as
well.  Operating within the scope of evidence-based practice where
breastfeeding is concerned is important to keep as a goal. I am glad that
your institution does this. Many do not.

Thanks for your input.

Kathleen

Kathleen B. Bruce, BSN, IBCLC co-owner Lactnet, Indep. Consultant
mailto:[log in to unmask]
http://homepages.together.net/~kbruce/kbblact.html
LACTNET Archives http://peach.ease.lsoft.com/archives/lactnet.html
"Be impeccable with your word.