Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Brenda Phipps <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Jun 2001 12:05:10 -0700
We have many mothers being discharged from our hospital taking Lortab, and sometimes continuing to use the medication when pumping for a preemie still in the SCN.

For some reason, over the last couple of weeks, this has become an issue in our NICU. Lortab is listed as an L3 in Dr. Hale's book, and states that when using this medication the infant should be observed for sedation and apnea. One of our staff (I don't know who it is yet), is telling our mothers that their milk cannot be used while they are still on Lortab. Our NNPs don't necessarily agree with this, nor does the neonatologist.  But since this is the second time I have heard of this, can someone working in the NICU setting let me know if they have ever seen adverse effects on the infant while pumped milk is being given to the baby?

I could only find one post on this in the archives.

Thanks,
Brenda Phipps, BS, IBCLC