From:
Andreas Meyer-Lindenberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Aug 2001 12:06:53 -0400
Hello to the list from a habitual lurker!

Intrigued by the informative email about this piece, I braved the
torrential rain yesterday and went to hear the performance in the Kennedy
center.  A computer screen displayed the Go game on center stage with the
two pianists positioned left and right of it.  I must say that I like the
piece a lot although it was not at all what I expected it to be.  Both
pianists were continuously active playing often diatonic-sounding ostinati
patterns, the overall effect being rather pleasing and hypnotic, similar
to some of Keith Jarrett's solo improvisations.

The thing that puzzles me is that I would have expected that if the moves
of the game are really set one-to-one to music (see excerpt from original
email below), it should have sounded more 'aleatoric', and more like a
'dialogue' between the players, than it actually did to me.  I wonder if
someone knows this piece better and can tell me how the 'setting' of moves
to music was actually achieved.

   ...a game of Go, for two pianos, was written in 1987 and premiered
   at the 3rd U.S.  Go Congress in the Summer of that year.  It was
   also featured on NPR's "All Things Considered" in March of 1988.
   The piece is based on game six of a famous thirty-game match of the
   ancient Japanese board game Go, played between Shusaku and Yuzo in
   1853.  Each move of the game is "set" to music, one of the player's
   moves being represented by one piano, and his opponent's played by
   the second piano ...

In any case thanks for pointing me to this performance, kind regards,

Andreas Meyer Lindenberg