From:
Andrys Basten <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Jul 2001 00:16:33 -0700
Max Woland wrote, on Monday, July 23, 2001, at 16:42:

>just do that!  I am 38 and started piano lessons 8 weeks ago.  It painful,
>just all uphill.  But the satisfaction to PLAY music in absolutely well
>worth.

Agreed.  I was 38 or 39 when I heard Gould's Bach and was delighted enough
by the several concurrent lines busily singing along contra one another
that I wanted to do that too.  I had played pop music by ear all my life
and had heard classical (did take lessons until I was 10) but decided I
wanted to read music correctly and learn how to play classical.  So, I
spent years listening and reading and vice versa:-) It's never too late.
When motivated you're more likely to do well but the main thing is not to
be hard on yourself and not to require yourself to do more than you can but
to enjoy what you can do today that you weren't able to yesterday.  At 62
I still am learning how to do things better and still able to do better, to
my surprise.  The limits are never as large as we think.

 - Andrys
http://andrys.com
http://mp3.com/andrys