From:
John Dalmas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 May 2001 11:01:38 -0400
Janice Rosen wrote:

>>Hi everyone, I am looking for examples of Chopin's music that has been
>>adapted by other musicians and given new titles (example: "Fantasie
>>Impromptu").  Can anyone list other examples?

Walter Meyer replied (in part):

>. . . the Etude in E, Op. 10, became a popular song the title of which
>in English I've forgotten, but in Europe it was called "La Mer" (sic).

That's one heck of a stretch.  "La Mer' was composed by the French
chanteur Charles Trenet in, I believe, 1945 and IMO bears no resemblance
to the Chopin etude.  The Brit Jack Lawrence added English lyrics to "La
Mer," and the song became very popular in the States as "Beyond the Sea."

One of Chopin's nocturnes (one of the two in E-flat major; I forget which)
was adapted by Eddie Duchin as "My Twilight Dream" and became his theme
song.

John Dalmas