HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Sun, 6 May 2001 21:00:50 -0400
HI,

    To my knowledge there has been no recent work on meat yields.  this
remains a problem in faunal studies.  allometric scaling is, in my opinion,
the best method for reconstructing meat weights but it has problems.  the
biggest being that it assumes whole animals.

In a report for the Hurd site (Bloomsbury) that has been posted on the
internet by the Delaware department of transportation I used some ratios of
edible portion to waste that I collected some from early 20th cntury
references.  these did not cover every meat cut and have not been used
before in this fashion.  I have heard no comments from anyone on the method,
probably because the report is not printed (only on
line)http://www.state.de.us/deldot/projects/mitsawokett_to_bloomsburyarch.ht

Ed Otter
faunal analyst