From:
Christine Labroche <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Oct 2001 10:14:03 +0200
Richard Pennycuick writes:

>I heard an excerpt from this as part of a television documentary, enough
>to make me hungry for the whole work.  A check of several online outlets
>and the Gramofile site came up with nothing.  Does anyone know of a
>recording?

A recording exists on Haenssler Classics (released in September this year)
in their Exclusive Series but I don't have many details.  Gergiev conducts
the chorus and orchestra of the St Petersburg Mariinsky Theatre The order
number on the Haenssler site is 098405000.

I omitted to say why Richard Pennycuick's message immediately attracted by
attention.  - I would very much like to hear the work he speaks so warmly
about as I find great appeal in Gubaidulina's music in general.

The first piece I ever heard was "Offertorium" concerto for violin and
orchestra.  (Kremer and the Boston SO are impressive).  Since then I have
been slowly moving into her music at every, too rare, opportunity.

"Offertorium" composed in 1979-80, is based on Bach's "royal theme" from
"The Musical Offering" and it is quite fascinating to hear her original,
deeply moving treatment of the theme - how she deconstructs it to its very
essence (as if in offering), slowly building it back in reverse, until at
the end of the score we are given the final D of the theme, otherwise
'missing' throughout, played here almost ecstatically, three octaves
higher.

If anyone new to her music would like to investigate, this could be an
excellent introductory work, as it was for me.  Regards,

Christine Labroche